How to validate foreign degree in USA


how to validate foreign degree in usa

For people interested in obtaining an H-1B visa, or work visa for specialty professions in the United States, validation of that degree is required. Same story goes for those who obtained a degree or degrees from foreign universities. It is mandatory to carry out the inevitable United States degree equivalency, which can be gone about in diverse ways. Your available resources will take the driving seat in deciding what validation process you choose to go with.

Here we go with some of the possible approaches:


Well recognized professional bodies, associations or organizations wield some power in the academic society these days. A widely revered and accredited professional society or association in your field of specialization is where you might want to turn to for proof of certification or registration. Of course, these prominent societies may want to test just how well you know the profession because nobody wants a bad name to their association. So, you might face interview or some sort of assessment.


Here’s the last stop, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This body has the authority to assess and validate your information if need be individually. The body will help you decide on whether the degree needed within your field of specialization or prospective workplace or industry is equivalent and has been accrued via a blend of work experience, focused training and education related to field o specialization.


Sitting through special assessment examinations is another way to acquire U.S. degree equivalency for your foreign bachelor’s degree. There are a ton of recognized university-level equivalency examinations out there, two of the most popular ones include the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the Program on Non-Collegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI). At the end of these exams, you gain points or credits which can be utilized in validating a foreign bachelor’s degree or any degree at all for use within the US.

Equivalency Evaluation via U.S. College

Running your bachelor’s degree or foreign degree via an accredited tertiary institution (college or university) is one way to validate your bachelor’s degree from a foreign country is garnering an assessment from an accredited U.S. college or university. Here, you will be receiving an assessment from an officer or personnel within the institution who has the power to offer you university-level credit for practice or training within your field of specialization. Of course, this assessment should come from a prominent university or college, if not for anything, for the sake of accountability if anything goes wrong. Well recognized schools have better success rates so, no worries there. This evaluation or validation is carried out based on your training and/or work experience.


There a ton of viable credential assessment agencies with the official power and authority to carry out degree equivalency evaluation. One of such agencies includes the American Education Research Corporation (AERC), an agency known to provide in-depth scrutiny and equivalency of foreign educational degrees to be in sync with that of the United States’ school system. Depending on how well you pass this assessment, you can have your foreign degree validated for use at any workplace.

For a FREE Quote, visit